Your business has a duty to both understand and minimise risk. Your company has a legal obligation to mitigate the risk of Legionella under the Health and Safety at Work Act Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (CoSHH). Technical guidance can be found in HSG274 relating to the control of Legionella in water systems. The Approved Code of Practice on Legionella control can be found in ACOP L8 and is designed to support duty holders to help them comply with their legal duties in relation to legionella.
As can be seen, the law and the guidance is technical and you may seek professional support to ensure full compliance. SAS Water will support you every step of the way to ensure your business is compliant and to minimise safety risks for your staff, customers and visitors.
You are required to provide:
- A Legionella Risk Assessment which is an essential risk management process and comprises a detailed examination of the risks presented by man-made water systems, and seeks to identify and assess the risks associated with Legionnaires' Disease through exposure to Legionella bacteria.
- A Risk Assessment should also consider anyone who could be potentially exposed to any Legionella bacteria in your system, and particularly groups that are at a higher risk of contracting Legionellosis.
- Have access to competent help and advice to apply Health and Safety legislation.
- Evidence you have accessed competent help & advice.
- Information, instruction and training to your employees.
SAS can take the stress out of your Legionella Control responsibilities. We provide a holistic Legionella Control Service or, either in tandem or as a one-off programme, we can train your team, contact SAS on 01335 347058.